Swale Drain Bridges
Material Supply Only
A simple but effective low priced swale drain bridge is available from Outdoor Structures Australia. The bridge is based on the member sizes and widths from our very successful Boardwalk Design Guide, with overall length in modules of 120mm. Stainless steel fasteners are an option.
Span is centre/centre of hold downs, bridge is 0.5m longer
For further information on this range of certified bridge superstructures contact Outdoor Structures Australia: email. We can also assist with abutment design.
This information is also available as a one page full-colour brochure: Swale Drain Bridges
Abutment Design Notes For Swale Drain Bridges
The abutment should be designed with the following in mind:
- The bridge should not be installed beyond a maximum 5% slope.
- The bridge sill should not sit directly on the abutment but be spaced up to 50mm above on drypack concrete or neoprene blocks.
- The abutment should have a concrete backwall and a side wall to stop soil encroaching on the timbers
- The abutment should slope about 25mm across its width to shed moisture
- Design reinforcing so there is no clash with the hold down bolt positions
- The bridge is only intended to withstand nominal flood loads
If handrails are required use the demountable series bridge. Bikeway compliant rails are needed on virtually all bikeway bridges.